History of Kaiapoi Tennis Club
The first opening day of Kaiapoi Tennis Club was held on 15th September 1909! The club consisted of one grass court in the Cycling Park (now the Rugby Park). An asphalt court was soon added, however, it was so soft it could only be played on before 9 am and after 5 pm while temperatures were cooler.
Growth of the club continued and it was decided to apply to the Council to use Darnley square land (our current site) for new courts. This was approved on 15th April 1912, and the first court was finished in October of that year. However, one court wasn't sufficient for long and a second one was added in February 1914 and a third court in December 1920. At this time a pavilion was also being discussed and was completed in 1922 at a cost of 154 pounds and 15 shillings (see photo)!. The fourth court was added in 1923.
The first meeting of North Canterbury clubs took place on 20th September 1925 and started the organisation of friendly games between North Canterbury clubs. The official formation of the North Canterbury Lawn Tennis Sub Association was in late 1930, and from this time onwards Kaiapoi has been affiliated with the N.C.L.T.S.A. until 2025 when it disestablished. Kaiapoi Tennis Club still plays against North Canterbury clubs but now affiliates to Canterbury Tennis and plays in Canterbury competitions as well.
The facilities have been updated over the years with our current clubrooms completed in 1986, and two extra courts having been added. The club continues to put forward teams in both Junior and Senior grades across Canterbury and North Canterbury.
