Thu, 14 May 2020 00:00
I'm happy to report that we are now able to re-open the tennis courts for social tennis and coaching! Our evening social tennis will resume on Tuesday 19th May at the new time of 6:30pm to 8:30pm, continuing every Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. For coaching, Hugo Santos from Seed Tennis will be in touch directly with the coaching schedule.
As New Zealand is still in alert level 2, we must ensure that the club and its members are meeting the COVID-19 safety requirements and recommendations issued by the NZ government and Tennis NZ, otherwise the club could be temporarily forced to close by the health authorities. There are a few ways that you as a player can help meet these requirements:
1. Please follow all reasonable instructions from the club's committee members. We don't enjoy being authoritative and just want people to have fun playing tennis. However, where there is a clear breach of the safety requirements, we will be forced to take action. We are not trying to be mean, we only want to keep our members safe and stay operational!
2. Shared facilities including clubrooms AND TOILETS are not allowed to be opened during alert level 2. This is a clear requirement from Tennis NZ and we must oblige. We will be storing sanitation and cleaning equipment in the clubrooms, but we are not allowed to open the toilets.
3. Please do not be offended if you are asked to go home or are asked questions about the following:
- If you have flu-like symptoms
- If you have been overseas in the last 14 days
- If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- If you are in a high-risk category for COVID-19
4. You will be asked to complete an online contact tracing form when entering the tennis courts - please do this when asked. If the NZ health authorities need to trace someone due to COVID-19 exposure and they discover that some members have not followed the contact tracing requirements, the club may be forced to close. We will be doing some spot checks to verify this system is working.
5. We have put up Play Safe Guidelines all around the courts which outline your responsibilities as a player. Please have a read of these before you enter. We will also have a safety plan posted in the clubhouse window that you can have a read through to understand our club's responsibilities.
We are not yet able to open the courts to members for casual tennis, but we are planning to introduce a booking system to enable this and hope to have everything available soon. Thanks for your patience, please bear with us as we adapt our club to the changing environment.