The problem of maintenance of the courts and of major repairs from time to time was as familiar to the older generations as it is to the later ones. It was, for instance, reported at a Committee meeting in September 1910, that the Opening Day would have to be postponed to 15th October because the courts had not yet been repaired. That, in traditional fashion, the major burden of putting the courts in order, fell upon the Committee. The story as gleaned from the records is that this Committee arranged to meet at the Courts and proceed with repairs. At the next meeting, it was reported that the Committee had inspected the courts and left the matter of repairs in the hands of Mr. (a Committee member). The records are discreetly silent on the outcome.

A much more serious situation in regard to the state of the courts developed at the beginning of the 1916/17 season. The courts must have deteriorated very badly, for a contract to fill in the holes and to tar and sand the courts had been let to a Contractor. The work had not been completed by January 1917, and the position must have become serious indeed, as a member of the Committee was asked to obtain legal advice on the matter. Ultimately, the Contractor was asked to accept the decision of an independent expert and the work was then completed by him.  As a consequence of this dispute, the courts could not be opened for play in that season until the beginning of March 1917.

The two grass courts which were first established on the present site in 1951, were retained until the end of the 1954/55 season and were replaced by hard courts during the winter of 1955. It was a sad day seeing the end of the grass courts, but the experience of the previous five years confirmed that the short growing season meant that players only had the courts available for a limited time (play generally didn't start until mid November and ended during March). The two hard courts were laid and sealed for $1,000 - the Club paid $200 from its funds and borrowed $800 from the Bank of New Zealand, repayable over eight years but the Club repaid the debt in five years.

The other bitumen court had a sawdust finish and this stood up well to wear and it was not resurfaced until 1955 when the other two hard courts were laid. The three courts were sealed with the standard sand finish. The sawdust was a better finish as it was easier to play on, balls lasted longer and it tended not to hold the water after rain. Regrettably, we could not get a contractor who would lay sawdust, so we had no option but to settle for the sand finish.

The next court resurfacing project was in 1985. By the beginning of 1985, a total of around $7,000 was already held in club funds for the resurfacing project, so quotes were sought from contractors for the task. In November 1985, the successful contractor commenced on a project set to cost nearly $8,000. Unfortunately, upon completion of the job, it turned out to be a most unsatisfactory experience with consequences for the club in the years to come. It developed into requiring independent testing of the surface quality, withholding of payments and much remedial attention to the surface for some considerable time before full payment was made.

In late 1987, detergent was tried on court 3 to see if it would remove the excess bitumen but it was unsuccessful. From that time on the Club spent several years with a reputation throughout the Kapi-Mana Tennis Association of having "courts that turned balls black within one game". Not only did the balls discolour very rapidly, but soles of tennis shoes discoloured in a similar manner.

Another round of resurfacing had become urgent very soon after the surface was laid and by 1987 planning and fundraising had begun in earnest.  A commitment to grant the Club $5,000 for resurfacing, was received from the Johnsonville Licensing Trust which was a huge boost of confidence to the fundraising effort.

By mid-1989, it was agreed that tenders would be called for resurfacing of the courts and the opportunity would be taken at that time to reconstruct the court base. In mid-December 1989, Purser Asphalts started on a $31,000 job that involved raising the court bed by about 15cm and laying a motorway grade hot-mix bitumen surface. The Club had $16,000 saved by this time, combined with the $5,000 from the Licensing Trust and a $10,000 loan from NZ Lawn Tennis Association - the Club was almost in a position to pay cash for the job. The shortfall was solved by various fundraising enterprises and in January 1990, the new courts were available for play.

What a revelation for players — the balls remained clean and the soles of tennis shoes did not become discoloured either. This was a quality-playing surface at last, with the ability to be resurfaced many times in the future.

From 2000, resurfacing with an artificial surface had become a popular topic of discussion with advocates for each of the common systems used — Astroturf or Plexipave. It was agreed at the Annual General Meeting in 2002 that resurfacing would be a project for the Club's centennial year of 2004. From then on, the debate continued and quotes were obtained for both surfaces. The issue was discussed a numerous management Committee meetings and in the end, a survey of senior Club members was undertaken to guide the decision. A two-thirds majority favoured Plexipave, which just happened to be half the cost of Astroturf and that is the option that the Club chose. It was a job costing around $32,000 and rather ambitiously, the Club Secretary applied to two Trusts for funding for two-thirds of the cost. He was successful with the NZ Community Trust who granted the Club $20,000. With the $10,000 the Club had already saved, the job was fully funded and through January and early February of 2004, Plexipave was laid and it has turned out to be a very satisfactory surface with good even and consistent bounce and good reflectivity at night.

The pleixplave courts are maintained/cleaned on a two-yearly cycle, with professional cleaners coming in to clean the court surfaces.

In 2024, the Plexiplave courts will reach an age of 20 years.  An upcoming agenda item for the current management committee will be the need to resurface  - whether to continue with Plexiplave or move to Astroturf, as many other clubs in the local region have done. The other option is to repaint the court surface and extend its life for another 10 years. A decision will be linked to the extension of the lease term provided by the Council.